Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Things that make you go . . . well, to Doc Knox

Last month I wondered about what turned out to be a TreeGator. It is an object designed to slowly water trees and Mr. (or Ms.) Anonymous correctly gave us the ID. I can update that report to say that there is still only one TreeGator to water several trees and, alas, not only can the city only afford one, it appears they can no longer afford the water to fill even that one: It has remained deflated throughout our recent mind-numbingly torrid spell.

My attention has turned to another object that I imagine I've passed a few thousand times without noticing it. There are many flourishes on the buildings downtown. It is a compliment to the people who built the buildings that they didn't simply make them functional, they at least attempted to make them aesthetically pleasing, if not beautiful. Still, this particular architectural addition confounds me.

It's an arch. Normally I'm a fan of everything arch-related. I think they are beautiful inside or outside of a building and I love them in nature. This particular arch doesn't seem to rise quite to the level of beauty I've come to anticipate from a nicely done arch. Maybe you've passed it without noticing, as well. Here is a wide shot:


It's at the southeastern corner of Market Square above Reruns. It doesn't really look like the wonderful little additions the architects or builders added to most of the buildings downtown. If anything, it looks like they had some extra bricks and couldn't think of anything else to do with them. Here's a closer look:


Was it added later, perhaps, by someone looking to make the building prettier or somehow more noteworthy? This question probably can't be answered on the Internet. I'll welcome guesses below, but I'm thinking this may be a case for Dr. Knox. I've submitted the question and I'll let you know if we get an answer. Can any of you beat Dr. Knox, himself?

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At July 28, 2010 at 10:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Knoxurbanguy, I'm sure you're a decent, nice fellow but I must admit I'm tired of seeing your shameless plugs for your blog all over the KNS website. No real harm, I suppose, but it reeks of pathetic attention craving.

 
At July 28, 2010 at 11:10 AM , Blogger renee holiday said...

that IS a most random arch... hmmmmmmm your guess is as good as mine.

 
At July 28, 2010 at 11:47 AM , Blogger Knoxville Urban Guy said...

Hello Anonymous,
I appreciate your perspective. I also appreciate your assumption that I must be a nice, decent fellow, although connecting that up with someone who is also shameless and pathethic is an interesting exercise. I do put plugs there - only on relevant articles to my blog - because otherwise no one would know I'm writing my posts and you might have noticed I've spent a bit of time trying to make it interesting and appealing, so I'd like to have readers. I hope I don't inconvenience you too much as you read comments on other sites. Have a great day!

 
At July 28, 2010 at 8:01 PM , Anonymous Steve said...

I believe that is a "WTF" arch.

 
At July 29, 2010 at 10:30 PM , Blogger Knoxville Urban Guy said...

Thanks, Steve. I think that gets to the heart of the question. Any good Knoxvillian would ask that very question: Is it Worth the Funding?

 
At September 6, 2010 at 4:54 PM , Blogger Knoxville Urban Guy said...

Thanks Peter. I don't think anyone is clammoring for more preachers on the Square. Why don't you suggest it to Mr. Garlington? I don't have the power to do things - unfortunately I'm not the downtown King, just the downtown blogger. If you could get him on the job, you would always know you had a part in elevating the archetectural elegance of the Square. You would become an answer for future Dr. Knox questions! Thanks for being a reader.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home