Sunday, October 24, 2010

StoryCorps Comes to Market Square

StoryCorps Trailer on Market Square, Knoxville, October 2010
One of my favorite things to catch on the radio on the way to work in the morning is Story Corps. It is certain to find the poignancy in everyday life and pretty likely to take me close to a tear or two. It's such a beautiful reminder of the grace and eloquence in the simple story of a life. Often, when I listen to the amazing and often difficult journeys so many have taken, it reminds me how fortunate I've been in my life and how grateful I am for everything I have and for the people I love and by whom I am loved.

If you've never heard of it and don't want to get up at 6:20 to listen to the radio, the basic idea is that ordinary people are recorded telling short stories of a relationship or a portion of their lives, usually with someone they love. The recordings will be archived in the Library of Congress. If you want a sample, you can listen to a few (or as many as you like) here.

So, it was exciting to me to hear the StoryCorps group was coming to Knoxville and to actually see the mobile recording studio parked on Market Square, waiting for anyone with a story to tell. Maybe they are waiting for your story. "Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you."
Enhanced by Zemanta

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home