Friday, February 11, 2011

If I asked you to Pechu-Kucha with me, would you think I was talking dirty?

Well, it turns out I wouldn't be, but I wouldn't have known that myself until a couple of days ago. A special shout-out goes to one of my alert readers (which is not to imply you all aren't alert, but then how would I know?), Lisa from North Carolina. She gave me a heads-up that an honest to goodness Pechu-Kucha was about to happen right here in downtown Knoxville. It happens this Friday night at the West Jackson Workshops and it is hosted by John Sanders and Sanders Pace Arhcitecture.

For the best information on the Knoxville event, you can check here. It also gives a bit of a definition to the uninitiated (like myself): "PechaKucha Night was devised in Tokyo in February 2003 as an event for young designers to meet, network, and show their work in public. It has turned into a massive celebration, with events happening in hundreds of cities around the world, inspiring creatives worldwide. Drawing its name from the Japanese term for the sound of "chit chat", it rests on a presentation format that is based on a simple idea: 20 images x 20 seconds. It's a format that makes presentations concise, and keeps things moving at a rapid pace."

So a person with any interest could present. Generally, creative people present their creative ideas very quickly. It can't get boring. As a bonus for those of us who are interested in downtown, a number of the presenters are architects who will, perhaps, give us a glimpse of ideas on the horizon for downtown.You can read about some of the presenters here. The event is open to the  public at 514 West Jackson Avenue. Doors open at 7:30 and presentations begin at 8:20. I hope to be there and I'd really love to Pechu-Kucha with you (baby). Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At February 11, 2011 at 7:12 PM , Anonymous Lisa M. said...

Thanks for the shout out! Have a good time...hope you enjoy it!

 
At February 11, 2011 at 10:57 PM , Anonymous KnoxvilleUrbanGuy said...

Hey - Thank you. It was amazing. I'll write about it, soon.

 
At February 11, 2011 at 11:13 PM , Blogger Melissa said...

Darn, wish I had seen this before now! That sounds interesting... make sure to alert us when the next one happens!

 
At February 13, 2011 at 9:03 AM , Anonymous Yvette said...

Sounds very interesting - too bad I missed the info until it was too late! Your headline sucked me in, though...it's a great one! =)

 
At February 13, 2011 at 11:03 AM , Anonymous KnoxvilleUrbanGuy said...

What's the moral, here, readers? Check this blog regularly or you'll be like the Thin Man and "know something's happening, but you won't know what it is . . ." :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home