Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Columbus Revisited (Sort of): Happy Thanksgiving

Replicas of the Nina and Pinta in front of the Knoxville Skyline
Last November I posted about the Nina and the Pinta visiting Knoxville. It was an interesting stop on our waterfront and though I never went aboard, I took some photographs that, I thought, turned out pretty well. My favorite (above) shows the ships in the foreground with the Knoxville skyline in the background. I thought it was a pretty good picture and the post was pretty popular, so I felt readers agreed.

Recently I recieved an e-mail from John Schindler at Worden, Rechenbach and Brooke financial advisors on Gay Street asking permission to use my photograph for their annual Thanksgiving card. I happily agreed. I consider myself more a writer than a photographer, though even a monkey would get a few good shots out of ten thousand or so over the course of a year and a half. Still, I enjoyed the appreciation of my efforts. A few days later I recieved an e-mail from a UT professor who wanted to use one of my photographs of the Market Square Farmers' Market in a presentation, so I got my photographic strokes for the month.

The postcard
I was a bit concerned that our local financial planners were blending Columbus with the pilgrims, but that's their perogative, right? When I recieved my copies of the post card, I realized I needn't have worried: they cropped the ships! I'm fine with that and still proud of having a photograph selected, but I thought the juxtaposition of the old with the new is what made the photograph interesting. I guess when an artist completes the work it is no longer his!
Still, it was a pretty cool interlude in this blogging adventure. If you, like my new financial advisor friends, enjoy the photographs on the blog, I'd encourage you to go to the Stuck Inside of Knoxville Facebook Page, like it, and enjoy the eight hundred or so photographs of Knoxville. I've added more, recently. While you are at it go to the Knoxville Urban Guy Facebook Page and "friend" me.

I hope you all have a quiet and peaceful Thanksgiving.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home