Thursday, December 22, 2011

Downtown Knoxville Classic Victorian Tile Entryways

Tile is placed at 36 Market Square, Knoxville, December 2011
The other day as I walked past 36 Market Square I noticed a man and a woman placing tile in the entryway of that building. It's fascinating, painful and tedious work. I don't think they were used to having their pictures taken.

Original tile entryway, north side of 36 Market Square
Have you ever noticed the tile entryways to a number of downtown buildings? I've always thought they were interesting. A while back I noticed that a number of them included hexagonal shapes. The first one that really caught my attention was on Wall Avenue in the northern doorway to that same building at 36 Market Square. That particular entryway includes a central flourish encasing the names of what I assume are the original proprietors of whatever establishment originally called that address "home."

Beautiful tile entrance to the Bijou, Gay Street, Knoxville
 It was after that I noticed the entrance to the Bijou had the same hexagonal tiles in its beautiful entrance. I assumed them to be a turn-of-the-century fashion given the approximate age of the buildings downtown. Even though the Bijou is older, its front entrance was originally a basement and became exposed when the street was lowered which, I'm guessing, was somewhere in the Victorian era.

Keystone Building, Church Avenue, Knoxville


Tile in Keystone entryway, Church Street, Knoxville
 I'm sure Jack Neely must have written on this subject at some point, but I couldn't find it archived online. I wonder if a good bit of the work, particularly that with the hexagonal tiles wasn't done by the same artisan. I knew I'd noticed it elsewhere around the city and I decided to walk the streets and see just how much of it I could find. I didn't find as much as I expected.

Tiled entrance to Night Owl, Old City, Knoxville
 I found one entryway off Gay on the top of the steps leading into the Keystone Building. I found one in the Old City at the entrance to Night Owl. I know there must have been more at one time and I may have missed some of them, but I looked everywhere I thought I would likely spot them. I really thought there were more. Perhaps you can think of some I missed.

Tiled entrance to my home, CA 1916, Knoxville
One reason these tile entryways are so interesting to me is because there is one inside my home. The entryway would date to 1916 and, while the design isn't as ornate as some of the others, it includes the same hexagonal tiles. It is part of the structure we are not allowed to alter because of the building's historical designation.

Finished Product: Tiled entryway at 36 Market Square, Knoxville
 As the lead picture indicated, all this was brought back to me by the sight of a man and a woman laying tile at the Market Square entrance to 36 Market Square. I'm not sure if this was a required part of the restoration or if the owner simply wanted to add a touch common to other buildings downtown and in sync with the entrance on the other side of the building. This entrance and the one on the northwestern side of the building are both nicely done, though they do not include hexagonal tiles. Maybe that's just as well: let it be a marker of an artisan of a past era, a small portion of whose work we continue to enjoy today.

Do you have more information? A link to a Jack Neely article? Are there other entryways I've missed? Tell us in the comments below.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At December 22, 2011 at 9:33 AM , Blogger John F. Weaver, Jr. said...

I don't have a link to anything Neely has written (yet) I can tell you that the reshaping of Gay St. took place in 1854 when it became the first paved road in Knoxville. The Bijou, however, wasn't called the Bijou until 1908/1909. So the tiles could be turn of the century. I shall be keeping an eye out for these entryways now. I know there's at least one in downtown Maryville.

 
At December 22, 2011 at 10:11 AM , Blogger Cindy Ellison said...

A very interesting post this morning. While gazing at one of your tiled entry way photos, a honeycomb pattern jumped out at me. I Googled "honeycomb hexagonal tiling" and found some fascinating information, especially on Wikipedia. Gosh, I learned something new today! ☺ I am happy to see that at least there are some tiled entry ways remaining in this area. It also makes me happy to know "the tile can't be altered" since it is a "historical" building.

A question on my mind in recent days was also answered by this blog post: It was so good to know the old Keystone/Keyhole building is still standing as condos. I am assuming the locals/natives refer to the building as the "Keyhold" building. I've always loved this building.

One other thing, I was reading this morning of the old court house windows being "overhauled". I hope it works well that the old wavy glass can be preserved as much as possible. In a perfect world it would be nice to not have to cover them with storm windows but I can undertand the need for them.

A great post, thank you!

 
At December 22, 2011 at 10:22 AM , Blogger Andrea said...

There are some on the 100 Block, but not necessarily in the best repair. I forget where I've seen them, though.

 
At December 22, 2011 at 10:24 AM , Blogger The Writer said...

I've never noticed! Shame on me!

 
At December 23, 2011 at 10:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have hexagonal tile entryways inside both the entrances into the residences in The Daylight building. I wonder if they date back to 1927 when the building was built. Next time I see you in Just Ripe I'll show them to you. Have a Merry Christmas!
-Katie

 
At December 23, 2011 at 11:09 AM , Blogger Knoxville Urban Guy said...

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the comments. It goes to show how clueless I am about what will strike a chord with readers. I'm always surprised. John, I'll expect a report on the topic - you seem to have the resources and know-how, of which I am envious. Cindy, I'm for the wavy glass, as well. Surely they will save it. Andrea, I'd love to know where you see the tile on the 100 block - especially the hexagonal shaped tile. I couldn't find it. Holly, now you'll see it everywhere! And Katie, I can't believe I walked past the tile in the Daylight Building 500 times while thinking about this story and completely forgot about it. I'll bet you a Just Ripe Biscuit to a Scone that tile dates to 1927.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home