Friday, February 24, 2012

Dirty Guv'nahs and Black Cadillacs Warm Up at Preservation Pub

Chris Doody, James Trimble, Will Horton and John Phillips

Take two of my favorite local bands and add my favorite weekly musical hour and you have the recipe for a great time. And it certainly was. WFIV, 105.3 broadcasts Homegrown, their weekly show featuring live local music from Preservation Pub. It has all the parts I love: early starting time, seats up front and great music. This week (is it every week?) fourteen inch pizzas were on sale for $4.50. Life is good.

Dirty Guv'nahs and Black Cadillacs, Preservation Pub, Knoxville

Dirty Guv'nahs and Black Cadillacs, Preservation Pub, Knoxville

The format is that Joe, a DJ from WFIV, interviews the musicians between songs about their latest projects or simply about the music in general. Last night the bands discussed their upcoming recordings. The Black Cadillacs have an album ready which will be released in late spring, which is about two years after their last effort. The Dirty Guv'nahs have an album almost finished and they anticipate a summer release.

James Trimble

Chris Doody and James Trimble of the Dirty Guv'nahs

The show featured a few older songs, a few of the new songs for each band and some very cool covers, mostly as an encore. When the covers for a night include Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, Wilco and the Felice Brothers, it is definitely a good night. As a bonus, the Wilco song was actually a Billy Bragg and Wilco song with lyrics by Woody Guthrie, so the bases were all attended to.

Will Horton

Guv'nahs and Cadillacs, Preservation Pub, Knoxville, February 2012

Chris Doody and James Trimble from the Dirty Guv'nahs were joined by Will Horton and John Phillips of the Black Cadillacs and the duos swapped songs back and forth with a little vocal, rhythm, harmonica or guitar help for each other as needed. Technical difficulties necessitated a shuffling of instruments and microphones and nobody seemed to mind. James jumped up once and tried to work on the jack to John's guitar while he and Will were playing a song. It was all very friendly and the guys seem to enjoy working together.

Guv'nahs and Cadillacs, Preservation Pub, Knoxville, February 2012

Guv'nahs and Cadillacs, Preservation Pub, Knoxville, February 2012

The crowd was surprisingly small for a free, acoustic show by two bands who will likely sell out the Bijou for two nights running. The weather may have kept some people away as a steady rain before the show turned into a torrent by the end of the night. I walked to the Old City afterward to hear Ben Maney, but he had canceled his show due to illness and by the time I walked home I was soaked to the bone. I kept my camera dry.

Guv'nahs and Cadillacs, Preservation Pub, Knoxville, February 2012

Speaking of, it didn't give me what I hoped it might, but I think I learned a little from the attempt and I'll be better next time. It's definitely a journey to attain better photographs.

Guv'nahs and Cadillacs, Preservation Pub, Knoxville, February 2012

But the show was great and the shows this weekend promise to be special, as always, when the full bands take the stage. You can get tickets for $21.50 for Friday or Saturday night here. I understand there are tickets left. I'm not sure I'll be able to make this one, but who knows? I've heard each of the bands many times, but if you haven't, let me tell you, you will be happy you spent the money.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At February 24, 2012 at 7:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Guv'nahs, one of my favorite bands ev-ah. I looked back at your Guv'nah/Pub shots from August and I think your new studio equipment is doing very nicely. I hope everyone comes out to the shows. The band in the Bijou is always a great time.

Shaft

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home