Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Veterinarian to Possibly Move Downtown

36 Market Square

At this point it's simply being considered, but it's a pretty intriguing possibility. The proposed location is 36 Market Square and with the pet population downtown maybe, just maybe, we're ready for such a thing. In addition to shots and, I presume, treatment of sick animals, the site would also offer grooming of all sorts.

As I've documented on this blog in the past, we brought a dog downtown and it didn't work out for us. She never acclimated and really needed a place to run around without the fear of delivery trucks, fire engines, strange animals and mail boxes. I know. I don't have any idea why mail boxes.


Picture of 36 Market Square, Knoxville, Circa 1910

During the time we owned a dog, I do think we would have switched these services to a downtown location if possible. To be avoid loading her in the car and driving back to our vet in west Knoxville would have been much easier - and worth paying a bit of a premium for.

I can also imagine people who bring their dogs downtown perhaps being interested. I'm sure if I still lived outside downtown, I'd much rather walk around the city while my dog was groomed than to sit in the Pet Smart parking lot reading a book or driving around west Knoxville just to kill time. If others are like me, this would expand the market beyond the considerable number of downtown dogs and cats.


Photographic Display in Window of 36 Market Square, Knoxville

Of course, one of the great needs we felt was a place to board her downtown and I know others have made similar statements. It would be amazingly helpful to have the luxury of walking your dog to be boarded or walking to pick her up after being out of town. It appears this isn't a likelihood for this particular venture, so maybe someone else will have to take that on.

So take a stroll around the outside of the building, look at the before and after and interior photographs displayed in the window and see if you can picture a vet. Consider if you would change from your current vet to a downtown service if it was offered? Leave a comment below or vote in the poll above. The prospective business owners are watching the blog and trying to make a decision and you could help make up their minds.

Empty Interior of 36 Market Square with photographs in foreground

Labels: , , , , , , ,

15 Comments:

At March 14, 2012 at 8:35 AM , Anonymous Chrissy said...

I think it would be adorable. There are so many people who have animals downtown, and also people who work downtown could bring their pets into town for their checkups. I live in West Hills, and my current vet is all the way in South Maryville...I would totally switch vets if something downtown opened up.

 
At March 14, 2012 at 9:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this idea! I like my vet but they are all the way in Farragut. To be able to keep the Pug downtown for the vet, to pick up medications as she gets older, and for the minor grooming a pug needs, would be awesome. Also, I like the concept of non-downtown peeps having things to do while waiting on their pet to be finished with services. Seems like a winner to me!
-Katie

 
At March 14, 2012 at 10:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that this would be a sad waste of prime retail space.

 
At March 14, 2012 at 12:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A vet and a pet store (for supplies and good animal food) are needed downtown. Maybe not in market square, but they are needed.

 
At March 14, 2012 at 12:11 PM , Anonymous Art Wagner said...

Downtown needs all sorts of things, a veterinarian included. However, the street level space of 36 Market Square needs a notable retail tenant--I have a hard time believing that they aren't lined up to book that spectacular space.

A veterinarian could occupy space almost anywhere else downtown, fill a niche, and be wildly successful. But not at 36.

 
At March 14, 2012 at 1:43 PM , Blogger Andrea said...

I agree, I think Market Square needs businesses that cater to tourists. That said, I think the vet could go into the building and operate on the Wall Street side, if it is broken up that way. But the shop directly on Market Square really needs retail or a restaurant or a gallery.

But I would definitely use a downtown vet. We still take our dogs all the way to Crossville when they need check-ups and such. I figured if I had to drive to take them to the vet, I might as well just go visit my family at the same time. A downtown vet, groomer, and doggie daycare/boarding facility would be wonderful.

 
At March 14, 2012 at 4:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. With so many windows on the ground floor, 36 would be a great space for a Crate and Barrel store. Imagine it beautifully lit during retail hours and at night. Of course a vet downtown would be great....how about one of the upper floors?

 
At March 14, 2012 at 5:23 PM , Blogger Knoxville Urban Guy said...

Well, I have some sympathy for that view, but I know that the owner has been working hard to bring someone into the space and so far, this is what is being discussed. If there was a battle for the space by amazing retailers it would probably be filled. If this doesn't work out, I'm wondering if the addition of Tupelo Honey will catch the notice of some retailers who haven't been interested before, kind of like, "Oh, they think it's a good bet, then I'm going to take another look."

 
At March 14, 2012 at 5:26 PM , Blogger Knoxville Urban Guy said...

It appears we are all thinking similarly, that it would probably work, but that maybe it would also work elsewhere downtown, while that space might be best for something else. The problem is that "something else" hasn't presented itself and if we could get the space filled with something that would be useful and would succeed, that may be what needs to happen. It isn't helping the owner or anyone else for it to be empty.

 
At March 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM , Blogger Andrea said...

Maybe we should petition a small chain retailer to move to that location in Knoxville. Anthropologie would be a great addition to Knoxville. And since Urban Outfitters is looking at Arnstein again, maybe it wouldn't be too difficult to get them interested, since they share a parent company.

 
At March 14, 2012 at 7:22 PM , Anonymous Chyna said...

I think that a vet could easily incorporate a retail element - how about doggie bakery, pet food and treats, toys, bedding, etc? There are a couple of stores like this in Portland, ME - right downtown - that stay busy and are fantastic (one is called Fetch, I can't think of the other store's name at the moment). I'd LOVE to have a groomer downtown; it would make a huge difference to us as we have three dogs at Lerner Lofts. As to whether I would switch vets - it's very likely that I would, but of course I'd have to know that this was a good vet. Anyway, there's no reason that both the need for retail and the need for services can't be satisfied. A pet supply store - especially higher end - is very different from anything else that is offered on Market Square.

 
At March 14, 2012 at 10:16 PM , Anonymous Kevin said...

Vet - Yes ! Since 36 Market Square hasn't already been snapped up, I'd bet the monthly rent is sky high and I'd agree that a vet could / would be successful off the prime beat.

 
At March 18, 2012 at 7:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I could walk my cat(s) over in a carrier for nail trims & whatnot I would be a happy, happy person. Loading cats up in a car is a HUGE pain living downtown. The space would make a fantastic boutique pet store in the front with vet services in the back.

 
At March 18, 2012 at 3:14 PM , Blogger benbarredo said...

There is Central Veterinarian Hospital right across Henley St in the Fort. It may not be in the heart of Market Square but the location is in walking distance and they have great doctors, staff and hours. Ive been taking my dog there for about 3 years now and I live in the Old North Knox Historic District. Im of the same opinion that a veterinarian clinic in that location would simply be trdndy and more than likely overpriced due to the type of clientelle they will attract.

 
At March 18, 2012 at 3:19 PM , Blogger benbarredo said...

I love the idea of a retail spot or even pet supply store. I have to drive to fountain city or west knoxville to get the discounts and wider selections of petsmart and pet supply plus. I am also in favor of anythig that forces none pet owners to see the reality of how much pet owners love their "kids". I have a loving sweet pitbull and we all know the igborance of most people when it comes to this breed. I like anything that gives me readon to take my scary killer of a pet in clogged public places to spread a little first hand knowledge on just how good these dpgs are and even how important pets are to their owners.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home