Monday, August 23, 2010

50 Ways to Spend a Weekend (or at least three)


Of course, given my penchant for anything cheap and musical, the Indie Grrls Fest was a perfect way to spend my weekend, but one of the things I love about the city is that everybody is finding their own groove. At any given time, dozens of events are happening and everyone is following their own taste or life-script blissfully unaware of everyone around them who are just as tuned into their own world.


The biggest event downtown, except for maybe the Indie Grrls event, was the Irish Festival. Who knew that was happening? Several hundred people, apparently. I continue to stumble, baffled into one thing or another. I particularly seem oblivious to all things Irish. I missed the St. Patrick's Day Parade and I couldn't go to a party I was invited to that night because of another committment. I've got to be a better Irishman.


The coolest event I saw was a birthday party on Market Square. I'm guessing the birthday girl was somewhere from 12 to 14, judging by all the giggly friends. They were given a list of things they had to complete all around downtown. The winning team got prizes from Mast General Store. The girls were hoping for candy. What a great idea for a simple, cheap, fun birthday. There should be more of that kind of thing.


But the best thing I watched was a bride and wedding party getting pictures made all over the World's Fair Park. I mean, what better thing to do on a hot August day in Knoxville than to dress in twenty different layers of lace and satin and trudge all over a park in the direct sunlight getting your picture made?


I assume everybody had fun in their own way, delightedly oblivious of each other. That's a pretty good weekend in the city.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At August 24, 2010 at 8:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The big rubber duck race was Saturday, too. It's not every day you get to see 45,000 yellow rubber ducks dumped off a bridge.

 
At August 24, 2010 at 9:42 AM , Anonymous KnoxvilleUrbanGuy said...

Hey Anonymous,
You know I heard about that after the fact, also. It's not my kind of thing, but I would have walked down to see it if I'd caught it in time. I wish there was one comprehensive spot to go on the Internet to see what is happening downtown. I've found bits and pieces, but no place that has everything.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home