Monday, August 16, 2010

One Final Moment before Moving On

I'm having a hard time transitioning from the scenes of this weekend's neo-Nazi march back into the fun and positive vibration I most often feel downtown. Sometimes a thing comes along that is so powerful in its good, or in this case, evil, that it's hard to settle back into normal. I'll end it with the video below. I hope you'll watch it. It is a video of one of my favorite songs from Steve Earle's Washington Square Serenade CD, and even though the song is about New York City, I think you'll see why it's a good ending to this current ugliness. The song is City Of Immigrants. I hope you enjoy it and, I promise, tomorrow I'll put the whole hate thing behind me.


Enhanced by Zemanta

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At August 17, 2010 at 7:33 AM , Anonymous Allison said...

It is sad and painful that these people were here in Knoxville, spreading their hateful message. But, there is a positive side to this: they were met with protest rather than Knoxvillians joining their ranks. Their message was ineffective. I hope they spent plenty of money-- we need the tax dollars.

 
At August 17, 2010 at 11:57 AM , Blogger Will said...

I feel the same sort of unrest but for me the event was overwhelmingly positive. Imagine if they had come here and not met such powerful opposition....

 
At August 17, 2010 at 12:09 PM , Blogger Will said...

Great song too!

 
At August 17, 2010 at 12:30 PM , Anonymous KnoxvilleUrbanGuy said...

I agree with both of you - it turned into a positive event in that Knoxvillians did not join them and showed up in good force to oppose them. I'm proud we aren't their kind of city. And, yes Will, that is an amazing song. :-)

 
At August 17, 2010 at 6:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

No matter how brief an exposure to the ugliness of humanity, it still affects us. Don't let them make you feel helpless, or they've won. Focus on the positive that happened: people from diverse communities and backgrounds coming together to stand up for each other - to string their collective voices into a beautiful choir of friendship.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home