Monday, January 10, 2011

Surviving the Snow in Downtown Knoxville without a Grocery Store

How is that possible? Everyone knows the drill in Knoxville: Snowflakes appear on the extended forecast and we panic, heading quickly to our local grocery store for milk, eggs and bread. Need it or not, it's just what we do. So what happens to hapless urbanites without a grocery store? We take pictures. I realized that most people never see Knoxville in the snow because we rarely have any and because when it snows mostly residents are the brave souls shuffling about.

I'm dividing the pictures into two groups because there are so many of them. I'll start with my swing through the northern half of downtown. I didn't make it to Gay Street and I only took one aerial view of Market Square. I tried to include some things I may have missed before. Tomorrow I'll post the southern swing through downtown.
Mews between row homes of Kendrick Place, Knoxville, January 10, 2011
Front view of Kendrick Place, Knoxville, January 10, 2011
I started with the courtyard, or mews as residents call it, at Kendrick Place. These brownstones, which often remind visitors of Georgetown, Philadelphia or Boston depending on the background of the visitor are beautiful in the snowy winter and the floral spring. You should check them out if you never noticed them nestled up against Chesapeake's.

Memorial to Firemen, Downtown Fire Station, Knoxville, January 10, 2011

Old City Hall, Knoxville, January 10, 2011
I walked from there past the Downtown Fire Station to the Old City Hall, ca 1846, which was later a Civil War Hospital, an "insane asylum" (see A Death in the Family (Penguin Classics) ), an early version of the Tennessee School for the Deaf and currently the home to the Lincoln Memorial University Law School, which won Pete DeBusk an award from Knox Heritage for its renovation in 2010.

View of Market Square from TVA Plaza, Knoxville, January 10, 2011

Ryan's Row, Vine Avenue, Knoxville, January 10, 2011

Front of Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, Knoxville, January 10, 2011

Immaculate Conception Catholic Church
After a stop for an aerial view of Market Square from the TVA Plaza, which is supposed to be public access, I passed Ryan's Row, row homes built in anticipation of the 1982 World's Fair and a quiet, elegant secret atop a bluff over looking the Valley. I attempted a few shots of the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, which is very difficult to photograph because the bluff drops off in front of it making it difficult to move to a sufficient distance away for a good view.

100 block of Gay Street, Knoxville, January 10, 2011

Train yard and depot, downtown Knoxville, January 10, 2011
I took shots of the 100 block of Gay Street and the train yard with the old Depot in the background, then moved down Jackson Avenue to the Old City, past Patrick Sullivan's and ending this part of the swing with my favorite sight of all: the inside of Java where I warmed up with a delicious cup of coffee served perfectly by Lizzie.

View east on Jackson Avenue, Knoxville, January 10, 2011

Patrick Sullivan's, Old City, Knoxville, January 10, 2011

Lizzie serves the java at Java, Old City, Knoxville, January 10, 2011

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At January 11, 2011 at 12:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm assuming your TV wasn't working. Do you know the Beverly Hillbillies are still on the air!?
I like the shot of Patrick Sullivan's.

 
At January 11, 2011 at 1:12 PM , Anonymous KnoxvileUrbanGuy said...

The Beverly Hillbillies? Are you kidding me? I've been wasting my time writing this blog and I could have been longing for Ellie Mae and laughing with Jethro? I'd like to thank everyone for following this blog for so long. It's time for me to devote my energies elsewhere . . . :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home