Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Shortwave Society Delivers a blog to My Doorstep

Shortwave Society Video, Locust Street, Knoxville, February 2011
Sometimes I go about begging the muse for a small tidbit, some simple morsel of an idea to write about in the middle of winter. The muse can be such a cruel taskmaster. Other times I'm doing just fine without Mr. Muse when a blog lands on my doorstep and practically writes itself.
Plaster Woman and Shortwave Society, Locust Street, Knoxville, February 2011

Action, Vocals, Plaster Woman! Shortwave Society Video, Knoxville, February 2011
I saw this collection of people from my window. Don't you just hate it when that happens . . . you look out your window and see a long-clawed, plaster-covered woman writhing about in a parking lot? Well, not me. I think: Blog Jackpot!


Shortwave Society Video Shoot, Locust Street, Knoxville, February 2011

Just keep singing - Don't Look Back!
I walked into the parking lot to meet some very nice people who turned out to be Shortwave Society whose most recent album Voyeur is currently on sale, as I learned, for less than eight dollars on Amazon (follow that link). The music is apparently a mix of electronic, pop and chamber sounds.

Look out buddy! Love and Compassion is behind you!
I also remembered that they are the band whose van got stolen last fall. I also recognized one of the members who I've mentioned on this blog before, Alexia Pantanizopoulos, who I discussed as she backed up Maggie Longmire and played with her other group, Norwegian Wood.

Large Claws are helpful if you talk with your hands.

Large claws make your fellow conversants more open to your views.
So, the band was on a site that I've described as urban blight. I guess one man's blight is another man's perfect set for a video. The concept of this video is a bit lost on me, but I did talk to the woman wearing the incredible plaster suit who danced behind the band for this segment of the video. She was very patient and sweet and accepted my business card into her claws. She is the wife of one of the band members (I know, a really good blogger would have gotten her name) and she explained to me that she was portraying the embodiment of love and compassion. Love and compassion which is rejected.

How does she look so sweet (and she was) with twelve-inch claws?
Scary, but nice. Loving, but potentially painful.
I can totally see that. I mean, I always pictured love and compassion as being a plaster dancing woman - who doesn't? I have to say I didn't imagine love and compassion having claws like that, but then I have heard that love hurts. I guess it's all falling into place, now.

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At February 22, 2011 at 9:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah! Great photos and a wonderful story. All right here in Knoxville. Who knew? Well, I guess you did. And now, I do too. Thanks!

 
At February 22, 2011 at 10:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too watched this scene from my window in the Daylight building in the background. I thought they might be Dr. Seuss characters.

 
At February 22, 2011 at 2:19 PM , Anonymous KnoxvilleUrbanGuy said...

Thanks on the photos, Pamo. I have a friend who said I went overboard which is probably true, but I just loved the pictures. I never know what's going on, I just try to pay attention and often get lucky. Dr. Suess figures? I'm not sure I would have guessed that, but isn't it amazing, Anonymous, to be able to look out your window and see such fun? Interestingly, in the past I would have looked, wondered and moved on, but the blog gives me a great excuse to be nosy and people are usually pretty open if you just ask.

 
At February 22, 2011 at 11:13 PM , Anonymous Downtown Dweller said...

Can't believe I missed this, as I too live in the Daylight Bldg. I commented on your urban blight post and agreed with that name for my neighboring structure, but, alas, this cause gives me pause... Maybe, just maybe, that empty brick box could be a new venue for a fox in socks eating a bagel and lox...

 
At February 23, 2011 at 6:43 AM , Anonymous Yvette said...

This is awesome...so glad you captured the moment for us!

 
At February 23, 2011 at 12:36 PM , Anonymous KnoxvilleUrbanGuy said...

It was a pretty cool moment - which I could have totally missed if I hadn't looked out my window at the right time. Double D, I remember what you wrote about that ugly spot and I completely agreed. Funny what a little art will do to a space. Maybe we should host a Seuss party out there!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home